Livre d’heures ou Offices de l’Eglise illustrés d’apres les Manuscrits de la Bibliothèque du Roi...

Paris: [Chez Gruel et Engelmann], 1882 First edition, printed by Engelmann, who is credited with bringing lithography to France and, later, commercializing chromolithography Eight chromolithographic plates of text heightened in gold, including frontispiece. Each page contains historiated initials and text within engraved borders, many inhabited with fantastical creatures, insects, flowers, fruit, etc. Binding extremities very lightly worn. Contemporary ink inscription on recto of preliminary blank. A near fine copy Nineteenth-century brown morocco with metal clasps, spine in six compartments with raised bands, all edges gilt and gauffered, gilt turn-ins. Brown silk doublures, central gilt design on front flyleaf. Quarto. [2], [1, title-page], [1 (Item ID: 16567)

$750.00

Godefroy Engelmann (1788-1839) was a Franco-German lithographer and chromolithographer. He trained in Switzerland and France at La Rochelle and Bordeaux, and he studied painting and sketching in Jean-Baptiste Regnault’s atelier in Paris. In 1814, he traveled to Munich to study lithography. After founding La Société Lithotypique de Mulhouse, he opened a workshop in Paris in June of 1816. In 1837, he was granted an English patent for a process of chromolithography that provided consistently high-quality results. Over the course of his life, he produced large numbers of prints, including numerous plates for Baron Isidore Justin Séverin Taylor’s collection of lithographs Voyages pittoresques et romantiques dans l’ancienne France.

Site by Bibliopolis