Description of the Royal Palace and Monastery of St. Laurence, called the Escurial; and of the Chapel Royal of the Pantheon. Translated from the Spanish of Frey Francisco de los Santos, Chaplain to his Majesty Philip the Fourth…by George Thompson.
[Ximenez], Andrés.

London: Printed by Dryden Leach, For S. Hooper… 1760. First English translation of this classic description of the Escorial, originally published in Madrid in 1757. Both the translations and the plates are by George Thompson of York. The author (1617-1692) is variously known as Andres Ximenes and Andres de l with separate title-page for the section on the Chapel Royal. Twelve engraved copperplates, all but two folding or double-page. With subscribers’ list. Each plate has been professionally rebacked with a thin linen. A little light foxing and offsetting. Title-page with small chip at top corner. Overall a very good, clean copy. Bound with the half-title, but without a back free endpaper. Recently bound in antique-style calf, marbled edges, new endpapers. Quarto. xxxvii, [1], 299, [1] ; (Item ID: 12978)

$1,500.00

The Escorial, said to be one of the most remarkable buildings in Europe, is at once a convent, a church, a palace and a mausoleum. It was built by Philip II. of Spain (1556-I598), shortly after the battle of St Quentin, in which his forces succeeded in routing the army of France. Designed and constructed by Juan Bautista de Toledo and built outside Madrid, it includes a college and a magnificent library, and is still a major visitor’s attraction. The plates in this volume include a floor plan, an overall exterior view, and details of both the interior and exterior.

Site by Bibliopolis