New York: Educational Department, Tampax Incorporated, [n.d., ca. 1941]. Broadside printed with four diagrams of the female reproductive organs in black with red accents. Creasing where the broadside has been folded for storage. The paper on which the broadside is printed was cut imprecisely, leaving the top and bottom edges at an angle. Light toning at one of the creases and some toning to one of the four diagrams. Small dampstain to left edge and a few shallow tears there. Very small tear on far-right side of the broadside, closed with document repair tape on verso. Still a very good, bright copy of an educational poster created by gynecologist Dr. Robert Latou Dickinson, an early proponent of the use of tampons at a time when pads remained the standard. Tampax Industries opened its official Educational Department in 1941 and began producing materials like the present broadside, another broadside titled “Standing Female Pelvic Organs,” and educational statues. Tampax had begun selling the first commercially available tampons in the United States by 1933 and, shortly after, began sending saleswomen, nicknamed “Tampax ladies,” into schools and colleges to promote the use of tampons over pads. 16 inches by 21 inches. Item #16790
Robert Latou Dickinson (1861–1950) was a gynecologist and obstetrician who published the milestone report “Tampons as Menstrual Guards” in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1945. He also partnered with Tampax to produce educational and promotional materials like the present item. At the time, tampons were not as commercially successful as pads because of the belief that they were unsanitary, unhealthy, or even immoral, but Dickinson’s publication and his partnership with Tampax helped popularize tampons and dispel myths about their use.