Paris: Gruel et Engelmann, [n.d., originally published in 1870, but this is a later issue]. Godefroy Engelmann (1788-1839) was a Franco-German lithographer and chromolithographer. He trained in Switzerland and France at La Rochelle and Bordeaux, and he studied painting and sketching in Jean-Baptiste Regnault’s atelier in Paris. He is largely credited with bringing chromolithography to France, and later of commercializing it. After his dealth, his son, Godefroy Englemann II (1819-1897) carried on his father's work and continued to produce chromolithographic books of very high quality. The present work was first published in 1870, and continued to be issued, at least through the 1890s, with the same sheets. The first leaf features a chromolithographic monogram in blue, black, and gilt, with the date "19 Janvier 1918." Chromolithographic title-page, with gilt decoration, within an architectural border, each page within a chromolithographic border, in gold and various colors, four full-page illustrations, printed in gold and sepia. The last four pages are reserved for "Souvenirs de famille" and are bordered and ruled in gilt. Sepia and gil printer's device on the final leaf. A fine, clean copy. Full dark blue crushed morocco by Gruel. Covers paneled in blind, gilt inner dentelles, dark blue silk endleaves, elaborately gauffered edges. Octavo. , 176,  pp. Item #16572
In the 1840s, the French bookbinding firm Gruel was commissioned by printers Engelmann and Graf to provide a range of covers for facsimiles of illuminated manuscripts. The bindings were to be in different styles and at varying price levels. Prideaux notes in Bookbinders and their Craft that Gruel "always had the highest reputation . . . for initiative in artistic matters, as well as for irreproachable execution in the detail of its many-sided achievements."
OCLC lists eight copies in North America (Cornell University, Manhattanville College Library, New York Public Library, Sonoma State University, Harvard, Detroit Public Library, University of North Carolina, and Kent State University). Stanford also owns a copy.