[ Valencia:]: Fundacion Biblia Espanola, 1876 ]. A fine facsimile of the Complutensian Polyglot, named after the place of its publication, Alcalá de Henares (“Complutum” in Latin). It was the first polyglot Bible and one of the finest monuments of printing. The original was printed from 1514-17, though overall publication of the Complutensian Polyglot Bible was delayed while work on the Old Testament continued, to allow both the Old and New Testaments to be published together as a complete work in 1520, though apparently the volumes were not circulated until 1522. (See Darlow and Moule 1411 for the whole story.) The print-run consisted of 600 copies on paper and six on vellum, of which only 150 are known to survive. In America, OCLC locates copies at Princeton, Indiana, and Marquette; in addition, several libraries own a volume or two. Woodcut coat-of-arms of Cardinal Ximenes printed in red on title-pages (that of Vol. 5 printed in black), titles within woodcut border, decorative woodcut initials, woodcut printer's devices at the ends of Volumes IV through VI. A fine, clean set. With prospectu. Full light brown leather with covers decoratively stamped in blind and spines in gilt. Six volumes, folio, being a complete facsimile of the Complutensian Polyglot Bible, first published in Alcala in 1514-17. Item #16542
In this 1987 facsimile, Volumes 1-5 are reproduced from the copy in the Library of the Jesuit Society at Rome, and Volume 6 was reproduced from the copy in the Madrid University Library. Copies of this set are rarely seen: OCLC lists three copies, including only one in America, at Yale.
For the original, see Darlow & Moule 1412; Delaveau & Hillard 1-2; Norton, Printing in Spain 1501-1520, 27; R. Proctor, The printing of Greek in the fifteenth century (1900), p. 144.