London: Printed by Richard Edwards and sold by T. Hamilton…[et al.], 1810. An important edition of the supremely important Wycliffite Bible, the first complete translation of the Bible into English and the precursor of the Tyndale New Testament (1526), the Coverdale Bible (1535), the “Matthew’s” Bible (1537), the “Great” Bible (1539), the Geneva Bible (1560), and the King James Bible (1611). Engraved frontisportrait. Text in double columns, with ornamental initials. Covers with minor scratches, light chipping at head of spine, front joint cracking, but sound, offsetting from frontisportrait. A very good, bright copy, in an attractive period binding. Small bookseller's label of William Salloch of Ossining, New York (a former president of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America). Full black morocco with gilt-tooled panels and spine, raised bands, gilt light brown morocco label. Gilt inner dentelles, all edges gilt. Marbled endpapers. Quarto. , lxxii, , 275,  pp. Item #16191
John Wycliffe (1334-1384) was Oxford's leading Biblical scholar of his time. He was an early advocate for translation of the Bible into the vernacular. He completed his English Bible, translated directly from the Vulgate in 1382. How much he translated himself is uncertain. He likely translated the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and possibly the entire New Testament, while his associates translated the Ols Testament. Wydliffe's Bible seems to have been completed by 1384, with updated versions produced by his assistant, John Purvey, and others in 1388 and 1395. His Bible circulated in manuscript, with about thirty copies of the original Bible surviving and manuscripts of the updated version. Many are defective or incomplete.
Rather surprisingly, a printed version did not appear until 1731. The present edition is the second edition of that printed version, with new preliminary material by Henry Hervey Baber (1775-1869). Baber was a librarian at the Bodleian Library and later the British Museum, a Fellow of the Royal Society, and an assistant preacher at Lincoln's Inn. He is known for his eight-volume catalogue of the books in the British Museum, Librorum Impressorum Qui in Museo Britannico Adservantur Catalogus (1813-1819), as well as a three-volume edition of the Old Testament part of the Codex Alexandrinus, Vetus Testamentum Graecum e codice MS. Alexandrino (1816-1828). Darlow & Moule 1014.