Stamford, CT: The Overbrook Press, 1936. One of 175 copies. Pictorial titles printed in brown and gray in addition to the printed titles. Printed on dampened hand-made paper. Typography and composition by Margaret B. Evans. Presswork by John F. MacNamara. Light offsetting from pictorial title. Some very light scuffing and rubbing to binding extremities and corners, else books are near bright and near fine. Full polished calf with red morocco spine label stamped in gilt and marbled endpapers. Top edges gilt and pages untrimmed in both volumes. Marbled board slipcase. Two volumes, small octavo. 170; 170 pp. Item #16123
The Overbrook Press was founded in 1934 in Stamford, Connecticut, by Frank Altschul, an investment banker and civic leader, who was interested in printing. Altschul first pursued printing as a hobby and experimented with it in his apartment. In 1934, he met designer Margaret B. Evans, who had been working for Ashlar Press, which was in the process of closing. Altschul set up a press on his Stamford farm. He hired Evans as a designer and compositor and John MacNamara as pressman. The Overbrook Press went on to print a diverse array of books and pamphlets, as well as ephemera. It operated for almost three decades before it closed its doors in 1969.